Quite often we get contacted and asked to do a quote for an installation of a hot water system, we are regularly told that a company that sells hot water systems is advertising the cost of an installation of a hot water system in Cairns at a price from $, leading people to believe that everything is included for a small fee.
When you see these advertisements you need to check the terms and conditions that are attached, as is often the case, the devil is in the detail.
When a Hot Water System is changed over your plumber has requirements that must be followed to meet Australian Standards. The QBCC has found that 40% of hot water system installations have failed to meet Australian Standards. This brings me back to the original question:
How do you compare apples if you aren't sure what an apple should be?
The QBCC requirements of a hot water system changeover to consider when comparing quotes are as below:
- Pressure Limiting Valve - this valve will control the inlet supply line pressure to a pre-set maximum
- Tempering Valve (must be set to correct temperature)- tempering valve mixes your hot and cold water to deliver hot tap water at a constant temperature.
- Non Return Valve - prevent the backflow of water from a water heater to the mains line
- Cold Water Expansion valve - designed to relieve the increase in pressure caused by the water expansion during the normal heating cycle
- Electrical disconnection and re-connection of unit , this must be completed by a Licenced Electrician (or appropriate Restricted Electrical Licence holder)
- Inlet and outlet pipes must be thermally insulated
- Form 4 - Notifiable works form must be submitted to the local authority
When receiving a quote it is important to make sure when comparing prices what is included and what is not.
Here at Plumbnorth when you request a quote we provide a full cost of the installation, this includes the electrical works, all associated valves and removal of waste from site.
Make sure you are comparing apples with apples!
If you are looking for a Cairns Plumber to change your hot water system, be it Gas, Electrical or Solar, the team at Plumbnorth are able to assist.
For any enquiries, please contact us via phone (below) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org